Honoring Bronco families is important to us, so in 1990, the WMU Alumni Association established the Legacy Scholarship, which is awarded to students from multi-generational Bronco Families.
To receive the scholarship, applicants must:
- Be the child, stepchild, grandchild, step-grandchild, sibling, or spouse of a WMU alumna or alumnus. Siblings of current students may also apply
- Be enrolled as a full-time, degree-seeking student at WMU in the fall of 2019 for the first time as a freshman or as an undergraduate transfer student
- Have a minimum 2.5 high school GPA for entering freshmen
- Have a minimum 2.5 college GPA for entering transfer students
Applicants do not have to be admitted to WMU at the time of applying for the scholarship, but an admissions application must be on file.
Preference is given to the well-rounded student (e.g.: extra-curricular activities, volunteer service, and employment).
SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
The total number of scholarships and amounts given per year will be based upon available funds from the Endowment. Recipients must enroll full time in both semesters to receive the award.
- The Legacy scholarship is $8,000 over four years/$2,000 per year.
- Applicants are eligible to participate in a mentorship with a member from the Alumni Association Board of Directors.
- This award can be combined with other WMU scholarships and grants up to the cost of attendance.
The selection committee consists of members of the Alumni Association Board of Directors, community volunteers and WMU staff who will consider types of leadership, quantity of community service, honors, years and type of employment, as well as the quality of essay responses. This is a competitive process; therefore, scholarships are not guaranteed to all applicants.
TO RENEW THIS SCHOLARSHIP
To retain your renewable Western Michigan University Alumni Association Legacy Scholarship, you must:
- Enroll for at least 12 credit hours each fall and spring semester at WMU
- Pass a minimum of 24 hours at WMU each fall and spring semester, AND
- Achieve a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0
The deadline for 2019 scholarships has passed. The application for incoming students will re-open in winter 2020. For questions or more information, please contact Hardy Figueroa at firstname.lastname@example.org